1. Brad Pitt is one of the world′s most ____________ actors.
2. After climbing to the top of the mountain, there was a ______________ view to be seen.
3. After a hard day′s trekking, a soak in a sauna was the _____________ way to relax.
4. Even though he had never acted on stage before, the young performer was _____________ about taking the lead role.
5. I′m not fat or thin and I take a lot of exercise - I would say my build is _____________.
6. By ______________ plotting, he made his way to the top in politics.
7. Roger Federer is the ___________________ Wimbledon tennis champion.
8. His handwriting is surprisingly ___________________, although he′s left handed.
9. Her ball gown was pink and lavishly ________________ with brightly coloured stones.
10. _____________ creativity needs to be encouraged among the young.
1. famous2. spectacular
3. perfect4. unfazed
5. athletic6. wily
7. reigning8. neat
9. bejeweled10. artistic
The following extract is also about the Vancouver Olympics. This time the writer concentrates on what happens off the ice, after the competitors have performed. Here are some words from the piece that you may find of interest:
아래 글 역시 밴쿠버올림픽에 관한 내용입니다. 이 글에서는 선수들이 경기를 선보인 뒤 얼음판 밖에서 벌어지는 일에 대해 기술하고 있습니다. 여러분의 이해를 돕기 위해 설명이 필요한 단어를 아래와 같이 정리했습니다.
▷▶ USEFUL VOCABULARY
unveil (v) make public, show for the first time
orchestrate (v) - organise
mock (adj) pretend, rehearsed
aesthetics (n, pl) principles of beauty
gestures (n, pl) = actions, movements
cheesy (adj, slang) inferior, cheap and nasty
Another unusual feature of the English language is combining words with hyphens (e.g. long-lost relative, near-death experience). See how many of these compound words you can find.
영어에는 하이픈으로 연결된 복합어 형용사가 다수 존재합니다(e.g. long-lost relative, near-death experience). 아래 문장에서 이런 복합어 형용사를 찾아보세요.
오피니언 리더를 위한
시사월간지. 분석, 정보,
교양, 재미의 보물창고